Admin Login

Tempo 1-09; Lisnaskea 0-05

By admin Mon 12th Nov

Tempo 1-09; Lisnaskea 0-05
Tempo 1-09; Lisnaskea 0-05

Tempo completed the double at Brewster Park today as they defeated Lisnaskea to add the league title the Senior Football Championship crown, rounding off a successful year for the Maguires.


This was a bad tempered affair that saw referee Niall Cullen dish out five red cards in all as well as numerous yellow cards with Lisnaskea finishing the game with 12 players while Tempo ended with 14 as well as having a substitute also shown a red card.

In terms of football, it was a poor contest but Tempo got control of matters towards the end of the first half and managed to keep a safe gap between the sides throughout the second half to claim the title.

Lisnaskea were down to 14 men inside the opening five minutes as Conor Curran received his marching orders for a strike on Tempo corner back Rory Foy.

However, the Emmetts were to enjoy the better of the early exchanges and despite the sending off they registered the first two points of the game through two Daniel Kille frees.

Indeed, it took Tempo until the 19th minute to get off the mark with Ciaran McElroy firing over their first point.

And John McElroy’s side were to land an unanswered 1-03 in the final five minutes of the half to go in with a five point advantage at the break.

The goal had a touch of fortune about it, Niall McElroy’s long ball ending up in the back of the net, while Ciaran McElroy, Thomas Campbell and Daryl Keenan fired over to leave it 1-04 to 0-02 at half time.

With the extra man Tempo managed to remain in charge in the second half as Ryan Keenan and Daryl Keenan clipped over points while Paul Curran replied for Lisnaskea.

And any chance of a Lisnaskea comeback were squashed when Sean Keenan saw his shot at goal saved by Tempo netminder Stephen Jackson.

When Ciaran McElroy knocked over his third point from play, Tempo found themselves seven ahead with ten to go and we then had a number of dismissals in the latter stages of the encounter.

Mark McKenna was sent off after picking up a second booking while a melee in the middle of the park resulted in Mark Little and Rory Foy also getting sent to the line. And Tempo substitute Ryan Ingram also saw red as tempers became frayed.

Kille and Daryl Keenan were to land two points apiece late in the contest but it was Tempo’s day as they finished up 1-09 to 0-05 victors.

Meanwhile, Irvinestown claimed the Division Three title as they defeated Belnaleck in the curtain raiser.

The St. Molaise led 0-09 to 1-03 at half time with Conor McGuigan banging over four points from play. Belnaleck’s goal arrived from Bryan Owens who finished with aplomb but two minutes later the goal-scorer was red carded after he threw the ball at a linesman.

Belnaleck did rally in the second half and had cut the gap back to a single point at one stage but James Duffy’s volleyed goal ensured that Irvinestown would finish winners, 1-12 to 1-07.

By admin Mon 12th Nov

Related News

View All

Main Sponsor

Our Partners