• Lá na gClub Leaderboard

Cumann Lúthchleas Gael Fear Manach

Croker heartbreak for hurlers

June 11th, 2012

Croker heartbreak for hurlers


Fermanagh 3-20; Tyrone 2-24 (aet)

Fermanagh 3-20

Tyrone 2-24


Fermanagh suffered heartbreak in Croke Park today as they were edged out after extra time by a single point in the Lory Meagher Cup final against Tyrone.

Fermanagh appeared set for victory after they held a three point advantage early in the second period of extra time but with five minutes to go Justin Kelly got on the end of a long ball to flick to the net as Tyrone levelled and Kelly then converted a free to secure the win for the Red Hands.

It was tough though on a Fermanagh side that showed no shortage of quality and heart throughout a thrilling and entertaining encounter.

A great start to the game saw Fermanagh bag three goals in the opening 24 minutes. Shea Curran netted the first when he got on the end of a long ball to bundle the sliothar to the back of the net while Declan McGarry then registered the second as Tyrone goalkeeper Jason Kelly spilled his effort into the net.

When the excellent Sean Corrigan, who notched 1-08 from play, struck a third goal it had Fermanagh five clear but Tyrone got on top late in the first half and by the break they led by two 1-12 to 3-04, Sean Og Grogan firing in the Tyrone goal.

The second half was a cracking affair and although Tyrone rattled over two early points from Damien Casey and Grogan, Fermanagh, with John Duffy in superb form, hiProxy-Connection: keep-alive
Cache-Control: max-age=0

back to level matters.

And the contest swung one way then the other Proxy-Connection: keep-alive
Cache-Control: max-age=0

the sides traded scores, indeed Fermanagh had a great chance to win it with virtually the last action of the encounter but Curran went for goal instead of point and his effort was saved by Devlin.

The game seemed to be swinging the way of Fermanagh in the first period of extra time as Corrigan edged them in front and Tyrone were then reduced to 14 men as Aidan Kelly was given his marching orders.

By the break Fermanagh led by two and with Corrigan then blasting over at the start of the second period, it put them three up and looking in control.

Back again though came Tyrone and Kelly struck his goal before sending over a free.

The sides were to finish the game with 13 players each as Declan McGarry and Shea Curran were shown red cards along with Tyrone’s Paul McHugh, but it was the Red Hands who held on to win, leaving Fermanagh to ponder what could have been

Our Sponsors