• Lá na gClub Leaderboard

Cumann Lúthchleas Gael Fear Manach

Tempo Maguires 0-15 Lisnaskea Emmetts 1-04

September 29th, 2012

Tempo Maguires 0-15 Lisnaskea Emmetts 1-04


(Pic By John McVitty)

Tempo Maguires 0-15 Lisnaskea Emmetts 1-04

for the first time since 1973 after a comfortable eight point win over Lisnaskea at an emotionally charged Brewster Park on Saturday evening.

The memory of Brian Og Maguire was evident prior to the game and the events of the last two weeks may well have taken their toll as Tempo finished much the stronger and finished the game with six unanswered points.

Tempo captain Conor Foy on lifting the cup told everyone that he “he was lifting the cup for every Gael in Fermanagh on behalf of Brian Og Maguire”. He was presented the cup by Lisnaskea captain Mark McKenna highlighting again that this was no ordinary final.

The game was right in the melting with 15 to go as Tempo only led by two points after Lisnaskea had fired in a Ryan Glancy goal to lead 1-03 to 0-04 after 33 minutes.

However, Tempo showed their quality when it was put up to them and really upped it a gear after the Emmetts goal.

The excellent Ryan Keenan tied the game up at 1-03 to 0-06 with his third point of the game and after that Tempo pulled away. Three quick fire points from Daryl Keenan, Conor Meehan and Neil Rogers put Tempo three ahead.

Greg O’Donnell got the Emmetts only point of the second half to make it 0-09 to 1-04 but thereafter it was all Tempo as the Emmetts tired.

A Daryl Keenan free, Ryan Keenan’s fourth from play and Thomas Campbell made it 0-12 to 1-04 with 10 to go.

Ryan Bogue, the impressive Damian Kelly and a Daryl Keenan free sealed the win and a first championsip in 39 years.

The first half was understandably a nervous affair and much tighter.

The opening salvos from both team resulted in poor wides as first Niall McElroy and then Daniel Kille spurned easy point opportunities.

The first score came on five minutes when Mark Smyth played a long ball over the top and Sean Keenan raced through and lofted the ball over the bar soccer style.

Tempo responded quickly though with Damian Kelly taking a neat lay off from Daryl Keenan to level the game up.

A Daniel Kille free then edged the Emmetts in front before they were guilty of kicking a few wides despite enjoying plenty of possession.

Midway through the half, Tempo started to get more of the ball and two points in a minute from Ryan Keenan, the second a fine point during which he showed good pace and strength to score fired the Maguires in front for the first time.

Daryl Keenan who had shown unerring accuracy in the lead up to the final pulled two frees wide while Kille was also wide on two occasions.

A scuffle and a couple of yellow cards showed that there was no shortage of championship intensity but scores were hard to come by.

Sean Keenan then levelled the game for a third time after good work by the pacy Ryan Ingram created the space but Tempo had the last say in the fourth minute of injury time when Kelly lofted over his second point of the half give the Tempo the lead at the interval. 0-04 to 0-03.

The second half was better and it was to be Tempo’s day as they deservedly claimed the New York Cup and they will now face St. Gall’s on November 4 in Brewster Park in the Ulster Club Championship.



Tempo: Stephen Jackson, Declan Campbell, Aidan Breen, Kieran Ingram, Conor Foy ?, Damian Kelly (0-03), PJ Rogers, Niall McElroy, Neil Rogers (0-01), Conor Meehan (0-01), Ciaran McElroy, Ryan Bogue(0-01), Daryl Keenan (0-04, 3f), Thomas Campbell (0-01), Ryan Keenan (0-04)

Rory Foy for Kieran Ingram, Thomas Dunne for Ciaran McElroy,


Lisnaskea Emmetts: Barry McGoldrick, Mark Smyth, Mark McKenna, Kevin Mohan, Niall McElroy, Kevin Curran, John Woods, Ryan Glancy (1-00), Conor Curran, Aidy Little, Paul Curran, Mark Little, Sean Keenan (0-02), Daniel Kille (0-01f), Shane Ingram

subs Greg O’Donnell (0-01) for Johnny Woods,Ryan O’Keefe for Paul Curran, Kevin Swift for Aidy Little

Our Sponsors