• Lá na gClub Leaderboard

Cumann Lúthchleas Gael Fear Manach

Newtownbutler 1-05 Belcoo 1-07

May 17th, 2012

Belcoo produced a strong last ten minutes to overhaul Newtown in a low scoring encounter to record their second win of the league.

The hosts looked to be in control after a strong start to the second half, but a goal gave Belcoo a timely boost midway through the half, and they managed to push on to take the victory.

It was the home side who got off the mark first here, with Niall Mohan slotting over the opening score for Newtown. Indeed the hosts had made a very positive start and could have been several points up in the opening ten minutes with the aid of a strong wind, but were guilty of some wayward shooting early on.

Belcoo on the other hand, were making the most of the sporadic chances presented to them in the first quarter, and had a three point lead after 20 minutes. A fine score from wing half back Eoin Leonard opened their account, followed up with a point from Ronan Ferguson, and two scores from Johnny Feely, his second a brilliant score after a mazy run through the Newtown defence.

The hosts needed a response as half time approached, and Shane Leonard reduced the arrears to two points with a well taken score just before the interval. Belcoo were to get the last point of the half though from Ronan Ferguson, to cap off a hard-fought half from the visitors against a strong breeze.

Newtown came out very strongly in the second half, Kevin Connolly knocking over an early free for the home side, and when substitute Paul Donegan fired past Belcoo keeper James McGrath with his first touch, the hosts now looked like they would take control of the contest.

Both sides were then guilty of poor errors in tough conditions as the half wore on, with neither side managing a score for 15 minutes. Belcoo eventually got a point to leave themselves within one score though, when Johnny Feely dissected the posts superbly from distance.

Newtown responded through Kevin Connolly to leave two points between the sides as full time approached. Belcoo hit back though with what proved to be the telling score of the match. Paul McGrath broke a high ball down to Ian Corrigan, who in turn found the net to put the visitors in front with five minutes remaining.

Newtown looked rattled, and although they went in search of scores to get themselves back in the contest, they couldn’t find a way through the Belcoo defence, and a late Damien O’ Halloran score made sure of the victory for the visitors.

Belcoo manager Jim McCarron was delighted with how his side battled for the win. He said: “We showed a lot of character to come back in the second half and take the win. We were under severe pressure in the first half as they came at us in droves, but we held out and managed to dig out the result in testing conditions. It’s a good victory, and something we can build on.”

Our Sponsors